This course is for those who might have to identify and manage emergency situations or manage minor everyday occurrences when looking after pre-puberty children. This qualification meets Ofsted requirements for those working in early years settings and is one of those linked to the Statutory framework for the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) document which came into force on 01/09/14. The statutory document requires at least one person who has a current paediatric first aid certificate ‘to be on the premises and available at all times when children are present, and must accompany children on outings’.
It also represents the best practice first aid qualification to hold for staff who look after all ages of Primary School children.
This qualification is built from 2 mandatory units of assessment:
- Unit 1 Emergency Paediatric First Aid (QCF code H/506/0792)
- Unit 2 Managing Paediatric Illness, Injuries and Emergencies (QCF code D/506/0791)
Passing both units lead to the ITC Level 3 Award in Paediatric First Aid (QCF Qualification number 601/3327/2)
On completion of training, successful candidates will be able to:
– who is unresponsive and breathing normally
– who is unresponsive and not breathing normally
– who has a foreign body airway obstruction
– with injuries to bones, joints and muscles
– with head and spinal injuries
– who is suffering from shock
– with conditions affecting the eyes, ears and nose
– with a chronic medical condition or sudden illness
– who is experiencing the effects of extreme heat and cold
– who has sustained an electric shock
– who has been bitten or stung
The Paediatric First Aid component of the course must comprise a minimum of 12 contact hours typically delivered over two days. Current regulations stipulate that the additional industry specific content must be delivered outside of these 12 hours.
A typical Paediatric First Aid course lasts approximately 14 hours i.e. 2 days of 9.30am – 4.30pm (allowing time for breaks).
The 12 hours of the core Paediatric First Aid syllabus need not be delivered in only two days, in fact sessions of a minimum of 2 hours can take place over a period of up to 6 weeks. This allows us the flexibility to deliver courses around your workload and availability.
The certificate is valid for a period of 3 years from the date of issue and can be renewed by completing a 12 hour Paediatric First Aid course before expiry of the original certificate.
HSE recommends refresher training of a minimum of 3 hours annually.